Thursday, May 3, 2007

Flowers Everywhere


This month we will be serving our friends, neighbors by planting flowers. How it works...

I've ordered hundreds of small plants like, Petunias, Pansies, Calibrachoas, etc.

I pop up a shade tent, and have the plants on racks, when people leave the services they go to the racks and pick up some plants...

They then take the plant home to give to their neighbours, or friends...

We have a card that goes with the plants...

you can order the cards from Marketplace Printing

Here is a story from last year.

A lady attended the Vineyard for the first time during our May, ‘Flowers Everywhere’ outreach weekend. As people left the services they would pick up flats of four flowers from our main entrance and take to their neighbors, friends and family just to show God’s love in a personal way.

As I was cleaning up I noticed a lady fidgeting in her car, looking my way, a bit shy and sheepish. I continued to clean up. When she walked over she held out the cash she had removed from her car and asked, ‘How much are the flowers?’ I said, ‘They are free!’ She asked, ‘Can I have two flats?’ I exclaimed, ‘Wow that’s a lot of flowers! Who are they for?’ She replied, ‘I heard the message today, and as I watched people taking flowers, I thought, ‘Who can I show God’s love to?… My dad. I can plant flowers for him, and bring some light into his day.’ I replied, ‘That’s a nice thought.’ She replied, ‘By the way, my dad lost both of his legs and can’t plant flowers anymore.’ I replied, ‘Here’s eight flats, have a great time loving on your dad.’

Then I thought, ‘now that’s what kindness to go is all about.’ Outward focused communication combined with practical application, helps nurture the heart of the Vineyard people empowering them to reach outward to their family, friends and daily connections.

No comments: